Wood polymer composites
Wood polymer composite is a composite material that is made of wood/flour and thermoplastics which are manufactured intelligently to get the desired superior quality wood alike material. This polymer was invented and put to use in Japan, around 30 years back, where an engineering company put together the goodness of wood and the sustainability of polymer into a single product to be used as a miraculous material for decorating your doors, flooring and windows. WPC has the qualities of the finest and rarest species of wood and provides an eco-friendly alternative to the conventionally used wood. Wood polymer composites are widely used in North America nowadays as an alternative for home decor. Currently, most of the wood polymer composites are made up of plastics, both virgin and recycled, and are generally used for exterior building components.
Properties of wood polymer composites:
1. It should have higher mechanical strength.
2. It should have enough interface.
3. It should have a high strength to weight ratio.
4. The modulus to weight ratio should be high.
5. The specific strength should be high.
6. The stiffness of the material should be high.
Methods of preparing Wood polymer composites:
3 ingredients of wood polymer composites are:
• Polypropelene granules (80%).
• Wood flour (15%).
• Coupling agent (5%).
The process of preparing Wood polymer composites:
• Pretreatment of the mixture to get rid of moisture.
• Compounding done for mixing the materials evenly.
• Chopping is done into 4-5 mm for greater efficiency.
Advantages of Wood polymer composites are:
1. Most eco-friendly products since it is practically made from the waste products of the wood industry and the recycled plastics. With 70% of wood, this product prevents cutting more trees for obtaining more wood for your furniture. In a way, you are saving your planet from getting depleted of the plants.
2. WPC is corrosion resistant and doesn’t rot easily. You now don’t have to worry about termites eating away your wooden doors and windows.
3. The material has excellent workability and can be easily sculpted into desired shapes and sizes. Any design of your home decor can be done with this wonderful product.
4. One of the most useful advantages is convenience, it doesn’t swell up absorbing moisture from the environment. The material doesn’t need to be painted and has the highest aesthetically appealing feature.
5. It requires the least maintenance than wood yet gives the best results.
6. The conventional tools can be used to bring out any required shapes from the material.
Uses of wood polymer composites:
2) Wall cladding.
3) Fencing and railings.
4) False ceilings and other interior designing.
5) Doors and window frames.